What is a DDoS attack? And how do I protect my Microsoft 365 data after the OneDrive data breach?
On June 9, 2023, users worldwide experienced widespread disruption as Microsoft OneDrive went down due to a series of DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks. This type of attack is a cybercrime involves the attacker flooding a server with internet traffic to prevent users from accessing connected online services and sites. This incident highlights the vulnerability of cloud storage services and serves as a reminder of the importance of implementing a reliable backup solution.
In this blog, we’ll explore the significance of data backup and introduce CT Secure Cloud Backup for Microsoft 365 as a robust safeguard for your valuable data.
The Impact of Microsoft OneDrive Outages
During the period of downtime, users encountered difficulties accessing their files and experienced synchronisation issues across various devices. For those heavily reliant on OneDrive for storing important documents and files, this disruption was more than an inconvenience—it posed a potential risk to their workflow and productivity.
The Microsoft Shared Responsibility Model
Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft does not back up users’ data as part of its standard service offerings. Under the Microsoft Shared Responsibility Model, customers bear the responsibility for securing and safeguarding their data, while Microsoft is accountable for the security of the underlying infrastructure. This means that in the event of outages, malicious attacks, or other disasters, users must have a backup solution in place to ensure data availability and integrity.
Introducing CT Secure Cloud Backup for Microsoft 365
CT Secure Cloud Backup for Microsoft 365, powered by Veeam, is an enterprise-grade backup solution designed specifically to protect your valuable data within the Microsoft 365 environment. By using this comprehensive solution, you can mitigate the risks associated with potential outages, security breaches, or accidental data loss.
Key Features of CT Secure Cloud Backup for Microsoft 365:
- Off-site Backup: Your data is securely backed up to an off-site location, reducing the risk of data loss due to local environment issues.
- Flexible Recovery: Flexible recovery options are available, including granular recovery of individual items, folders, or entire mailboxes, as well as daily recovery options.
- Encryption: Your data is encrypted both at rest and in transit, ensuring that only authorised individuals can access it.
- Versioning: Multiple versions of files are stored, enabling you to restore data to a specific point in time if necessary.
- Reporting: Detailed reports provide insights into your backup activities, ensuring that your data is adequately protected and allowing you to address any issues proactively.
The recent OneDrive outages serve as a stark reminder of the vulnerabilities inherent in relying solely on cloud storage services for data management. Microsoft’s Shared Responsibility Model emphasises the need for users to take proactive steps in securing their data. Implementing a reliable backup solution, such as CT Secure Cloud Backup for Microsoft 365, provides peace of mind and ensures the continuity of your business operations even in the face of unexpected disruptions.
Don’t wait for a data loss event to occur, contact us today to safeguard your valuable information.